Other Local High Profile Cases
George Howard Putt
- In 1973, George Howard Putt was sentenced to 497 years after killing five Memphians after a month-long killing spree that occurred in 1969.
- Check out an article about this case: http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-19178.htmlweeblylink_new_window
Ernest Earl Stubblefield
- In May 25, 1982 Stubblefield broke into an east Memphis family’s home and kidnapped on of their children. He was charged in the kidnapping of Leslie Marie Gattas after pleading guilty in court. He accepted a state offer of 30 years in prison for the kidnapping. The judge also sentenced Stubblefield, to five years in prison on a charge of first-degree burglary for entering the Gattas home.
- Check out an article about this case: http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2007/May/25/may-25-2007/weeblylink_new_window
West Memphis 3
- Damien Echols, Jason Baldwin and Jessie Misskelley, were convicted of killing three West Memphis second graders in 1994. Baldwin and Misskelley were sentenced to life in prison, and Echols was sentenced to death after a highly publicized trial.
- Check out this website about the case:http://www.wm3.org/weeblylink_new_window
- In April of 2007, Winkler was convicted of voluntary manslaughter for killing her husband. She was released after spending seven months in custody. Since then she has been on several national television shows.
- Checkout a recent interview with Winkler: http://www.wmctv.com/global/story.asp?s=12417574weeblylink_new_window
Taylor Bradford Murder
- DeeShawn Tate, Victor Trezevant, Devin Jefferson and Courtney Washington were charged in the 2007 murder of University of Memphis football player Taylor Bradford. The murder happened after a failed robbery attempt. Trezevant was convicted of first-degree murder and sentenced to life in prison. Jefferson was also found guilty and was sentenced to 51 years. Tate and Washington are currently awaiting trial.
- Check out an article about the case: http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpp/news/crime/012911-victor-trezevant-found-guilty-in-taylor-bradford-murder-trialweeblylink_new_window
- Scott murdered his wife, Bolton High School Teacher Ashley Scott, in 2006 on Thanksgiving Day. He was found guilty of second-degree murder in 2009 and is currently serving a 25 year sentence.
- Check out an article about the case: http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/feb/19/jeffrey-scott-sentencing/
Lester Street Murders
- Jessie Dotson was convicted of six counts of capital murder for the 2008 murders, including his brother, two young nephews and two other adults. He received the death penalty.
- Check out the blog from the trial: http://blogs.commercialappeal.com/memphis_trial_blog/archives.html
- Harry Coleman, 60, shot a killed a FedEx pilot in front of the man’s children in the Trinty Commons parking lot in 2009. He was found guilty of second-degree murder on July 16, 2010, and was sentenced to 18 years in prison.
- Check out an article about this case: http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/dec/03/coleman-sentenced-18-years-prison-2009-parking-lot/